Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fun in the Sun


Just thought I would share my latest creation. It is a step card with a beach theme.

I got the idea for the sun from the July/Aug. 2011 Paper Crafts Magazine.
Julie Campbell designed a flower using curled up squares and a button in the center.
I decided it would work great for a sun.
She used double sided paper and the patterned paper I wanted to use was just one sided so I adhered it back to back.
Here is how it works:
Take 1 1/4 inch squares of paper.
Curl to edges over and glue flaps in place.
Arrange the curled pieces in a circle and glue down like this

(Note: I made part of the sun hanging off the side and trimmed the excess. The original was a full circle.)
Next, place a circle on top.
(I used paper, Julie used a button, but any round shape would work)

OH, it just dawned on me that this technique would look really cool for thoser badges that are so popular right now...I feel a new project coming on...LOL)

For right now, I will just show you the rest of the card...

sandcastle, shell, & starfish
(If you look really closely, you can see that I tried to emboss the starfish with my Cuddlebug swiss dots embossing folder. Good idea, but the piece is so little that it only ends up with 3 or 4 dots...LOL)


pail, shovel, & shell
I am thinking now that the shovel is way too big for the pail...oh well...


seagulls
I live near Galveston so the seagulls were a MUST...although the water in our area of the Gulf of Mexico is never blue but brown:)


umbrella and beach ball


...and the water.
(shark included :)

I put a black background behind the card when I took pictures so it is hard to see, but I have "Fun in the Sun"  on the different parts of the steps.





I have to go tweek a few things but I thought it turned out pretty cute.
Hope you enjoy it!

Happy crafting!

7 comments:

Anna Dawn said...

That is so cute! You certainly have been busy lately! I love love love the sun! I am gonna have to swipe that idea for one of my projects! lol! Did you make the files yourself or get them from somewhere? Great stuff! :-)

Saints Rule! said...

Very cute!

Gail said...

Your attention to the littlest details just floor me!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Jani all the details are amazing. What a stunning creation. I love the sun idea too.
Cheers
Sonia
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Lisa R. said...

Fabulous!!! Neat sun technique. TFS

Cheryl First said...

This is so cool! I'm going to have to think of something to try that technique for the sun.....hmmmm........what can I do? What can I do?! lol!

Bunnyfreak said...

Love this step card.

http://digipage-blog.everything-digital-scrapbooking.com/