Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It fits in my box

I wish everything fit into my boxes...literally and figuratively...LOL. I have started making such dimensional flowers that my cards won't fit into an envelope. I started making these boxes to fit a 5.5 by 8.5 card. I made them by hand at first just because I have been making boxes for years.(ever since I first saw Carol Duvall make one on her show years ago...does that date me :)

Anyway, I finally wised up and made a cut file for the box. But if you give a crafter one project...she will add more to it.
Here is my pretty box. I added a decorative band and label. Of coarse I HAD to add flowers. Theses are actually flowers I made files for back in March when my wrist was recouping from surgery. I had forgotten about them. I am calling the purple flower "tattered daisy". I fringed a thin piece of paper then quilled it and spread it open for the center of the purple flower. I bought a paper fringer several years ago when I did more quilling. You could also make lots and lots of tiny snips along the paper and roll it up with tweezers or a toothpick. For the white flowers, which I am calling "5 petal flower for lack of a better name, I just inked the center with a turquoise chalk ink and then went over that with a white chalk ink to blend it.
For the box band I altered my loopy mat file. I had to make the band in two pieces and fit them together. There is a one inch tab on one band so you can attach it to the other band with out messing up the loopy edge. I usually hide the seems under the label or on the sides.
The band file cuts really slow because of all the detail but I think it is worth it. When I don't have time to cut this with SCAL, I just cut 2 strips of paper and join them.

The box file cuts very quickly. There is a bottom piece and a lid that is slightly bigger.
To score, Just line up the v shaped notch at the end with your score board.

For the other end,  line up the small notches and score all the way across the tabs and side of box.

Then you fold the tabs in, press sides down with bone folder, fold tabs to the inside, and glue or tape the sides together.



Here are the cut files. They will be available for a little over a week.

rectangular box: SVG    SCAL

box band and flowers:  SVG   SCAL

Happy crafting!

PS: The birdhouse box file cannot be recovered so I will have to start all over.
In the meantime, I found several file that I have never posted so it all balances out :)

3 comments:

Davi said...

Wow that is a very pretty box! Very cool idea:)

Trisha said...

Oh, I so appreciate this box file! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. This will be a lot of help to me.