Friday, August 12, 2011

Cross Box with roses


I made a cross shaped box for a friend.

The box it self is not pretty. It is sort of plain.
I added handmade roses & leaves, ribbon, and rhinestones to make it have more beauty.
I thought that was very symbolic of life.
To picture an old weathered wooden cross is not that pretty on it's own.
In Jesus's day, it would have been a symbol of corporate punishment. Similar to an electric chair, it was what the Romans used to put "criminals" to death.
When we talk about the "beauty of the cross", we refer to the beauty that Christ added.
His loving, self-less sacrifice to die for us. Especially since He had done nothing wrong.
By His death, burial, and resurrection paid the price for our sins.
When I look at a cross, I don't just see two perpendicular chunks of wood.
I see the love of God demonstrated by Christ's sacrifice.
That make it a thing of true beauty.


I used Penny's rose cut files for this project.
Refer to this post for a few more details.



I did something different with the colors this time. (Although it is hard to tell in this picture)
I cut the roses from a dark red cardstock then used Barn Red & Frayed Burlap distress inks to color the edges.  It is beautiful in person ;)
The leaves were cut from dark green and inked with Forest Moss distress ink.
    
Here are the

The rose files are from Penny Duncan Creations
the leaves are mine and can be downloaded here.
just leaves

I also added ribbon to the sides of the box lid. I used Zots to hold the transparent ribbon in place then added red rhinestones on top of the Zots to hide them.



Hope you enjoyed this project and post.
Even more, I hope you see the true "beauty" in the cross.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [13 Aug 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Jamie S said...

Thank you for the cross box file! Your flowers are lovely! The coloring does come through, although I am sure they are even prettier in person. JamieS

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Jani thanks so much for popping over to my blog and also for the beautiful thoughts on this post so true.
May the beauty of the cross always shine though us as we die daily to self. "I must decrease but He must increase" as John the Baptist said of his relationship to His Saviour, love in Him, Shaz.x

Aussie Carolyn said...

Your cross box with roses is stunning. You sure made the roses look pretty. I would like to thank you for sharing your box too.

Alicia B said...

Oh My, This IS Lovely! I know your friend is going to treasure this box! Thank You for sharing the file and for showing your creation with it! *Hugs*

martha said...

Hi Jani thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm doing good ......busy with my kids and the parties . My twins go back to school next monday and I hope to have more time to participate in challenges and post some of the work I've done this past weeks.

My Need 2 Craft said...

TFS the leaves file. I am always looking for leaves. :) I <3 Penny Duncan files too. :)

Lorena Tartas said...

Thanks for sharing! :D